Tuesday, August 30, 2011

College Life


I'm in college now, and I love it. I love living where my classes are, and around so many people. My roommate, who I was randomly matched to, is great.

I've wanted to check out a couple of campus ministries, but so far CCF is the only one I've attended. I like it alot. The people are really nice, and I've had fun. Steven's talks are good. He does topical messages, like light and salt, and connects them well to other biblical events. But I want something deeper as well. I would like to find a smallgroup, or have someone disciple me. CCF is good, but it isn't a replacement for a more personal bible study. We'll see what happens as I look for one.
I attended my first church up here, called CrossPointe. The preacher was engaging, but also funny. He was talking about the Sabbath, so they decided that every seventh minute during service, service came to a pause. The music stopped, the lights came up, and we were supposed to rest for the seventh out of every seven minutes. It was very interesting. I put my head down during the minute, because I was tired. College students keep very irregular sleep schedules.

So the first two weeks here, I'm doing great. I hope to do well in class, and make lots of friends. I'm missing my family a lot, but that's growing up right?

Lastly, is Examen. I've been using Examen.me as a bible-study tool. They have a lot of reading plans, and I chose a topical one called '7 Days on Facing Fear'. This week, the scripture has really spoken to me. First was Psalm 34 telling me that God answers fears. That those who look to Him are radiant, and never ashamed again. I felt very at peace, and that God was in control. Tonight, I read Isaiah 43, where God tells us not to fear. He says that He created us, and he loves us and saved us. The words that struck me the most were "you are mine." It felt almost like a boyfriend saying it. Just the thrill of someone you love so much claiming you. 'You are mine. I love you and will take care of you. You don't belong to this filthy world, but to a loving father'. I've heard that before, and sung about how we were His children. But it really resonates with me now. This is part of why I feel spiritually hungry for more bible study or discipleship. I think I'm ready to absorb more of God's word and love. I want Him to have more of my life, all of it, because He is my life and my creator.

Just some thoughts I wanted to write down because they're very important. But on a less serious note, here's a great picture of me from this past week.



This is from a recent campus-wide game of Humans v Zombies. It was so much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment