Monday, August 9, 2010

Baby steps

So I just went and talked to my neighbors about Jesus. Literally just now. I still have butterflies in my stomach.

On Saturday I thought God was telling me to make my neighbors some muffins. But I laid in bed all day cause it was more comfortable. Then today, I got up and had a plan. After heating some marshmallows and butter, then mixing with cereal, I had rice crispies. The people I had in mind are a very nice couple to our right with two college-age kids. We'd exchanged baked goods before, but never went past pleasantries.

So I had my treats ready. I wasn't quite sure how to go about it, so I called Kristi Cartwright, a dear friend. She told me there aren't step-by-step instructions. Just to let God talk through me. Then she prayed with me, and I was ready to go. I walked over and rang the doorbell. No answer. Okay, let's try the neighbors to the other side. No answer. I had forgotten that most adults are at work this time of day. So I looked around and saw a house a little bit down with cars in the driveway. I rang. A guy answered and let me in. He and his wife welcomed me and thanked me for the gift of rice crispy treats.

Then I asked, "Have you heard the good news of Jesus Christ?"
It felt more like a stammer, but there it was.
"Yes.", they replied, and asked what church I go to.
We talked a bit about school zones and jobs, then I went home. Now I'm here typing.

I know God tells us to go out and preach the Gospel, but it's nerve wracking sometimes. Today I learned that I can do it, however.
When armed with God (and delicious rice crispies), there's nothing too scary.

3 comments:

  1. So proud of you! Keep letting God lead you, it will get easier! :) I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you too (: Thanks for being a role model

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is AWESOME! So proud of you girl...

    ReplyDelete